Monday, May 19, 2008

Day 4 - the last wall came down

It was a pretty uneventful day. My dad and Steve came this morning to do the wiring and build the header out so that we could take two of the beams out of the load bearing wall. I know this is one thing that had Jason all stressed out because he really wasn't completely on board with my decision to make the doorway 6' instead of the 2 1/2' that it was. He did say, when it was all down and he had time to adjust to it - that he liked the doorway being so open. I really like it too. I just feel like our tiny, crammed house is so much more open than it was before. I had planned on asking about opening up the stairway wall to the stairs but I know when I'm pushing it and I've decided to just forget about that little 'improvement'. Maybe in a few years, I'll change my mind but it's not something we'll do now.

We went to the Home Depot last night and did a little shopping. I've been looking and looking for a ceiling fan for the dining room addition for a while but I haven't been able to find anything I like in brushed nickel. I have to have that because I committed myself to that finish when I got the two dining room sconces on clearance at Lowe's a few weeks ago. I finally found a fan I liked - which is surprising to me because I really wanted a chandelier and I think that made me like the fans even less...We also needed to pick out a light for the old dining room since we took all of the can lights out (they were old and sucked a lot of juice). I also needed to find a light for my scrap room for in front of the windows. Again - I lucked out with clearance lights. I found some Tiffany Style stained glass pendant lights that are ok. They were a fabulous deal though - originally like $63 and they were marked down to $19......couldn't pass that up. The more I think about it though, I'm not so crazy about the shades but that's ok - my Mom and Aunt are fabulous stained glassers so I'm hoping that they can help me pick out some glass and modify a pattern I found to make my own shades somewhere in the near future. This way they will be completely custom and ooh so pretty - and just perfect. ;o)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That's Steve - knocking out the old doorway header........
Photobucket

Jason cutting down the two support beams......
Photobucket

Photobucket


Nice big doorway now. ;o)
Photobucket

We also started the insulation tonight........
Photobucket

One of my new outlet boxes.....I am getting quite a few. ;o) You can never have enough outlets in a scrapbook room!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

0 comments: